Sunday, September 27, 2015

Milford Sound Photos

It's a fjord, not a sound, but why am I being picky?  It should be named Spectacular Fjord!  I picked out so many pictures to download, I decided to make this a separate post rather than put into the blog post.  That can be read at this link.

For pictures of the fur seals, penguins, and 11 legged starfish, read this post.  On to the spectacular photos:

Sinbad Gully/Falls

The cliffs go virtually straight up


Looking west

Fairy Falls

Looking back to the East


For some reason, my hair was not as affected
by the wind as Carol's or Maddy's.

Stirling Falls -- 500 feet tall

Awesome power

Yup, they are in the
splash zone.

Yup, we are in the spray zone

Black coral from the underwater observatory.
I know you think "white coral" would be
a more fitting name, but apparently you
are wrong.

If I have to write a caption telling you this
is the kayaking part of the day, you need
to get outside a LOT more.

Carol and Kyle.  One's my wife, and one's my guide.


Looking up Pembroke River toward Pembroke
Mountain (6600 feet) at Pembroke Glacier.
 Mr. Pembroke was an influential person.  


Pretty good picture of the three of us.
Five would be better, but such is life.

On the left is Lady Bowen Falls (531 feet high).
In the centre is another snow capped mountain.
No, I don't know the name of it!

A dramatic picture of the falls.

Mitre Peak from the airport.  I was standing in the
terminal when I took this.  (There is no terminal!)

Mitre Peak.

Lady Bowen Falls, and the Visitor Centre
from the plane.

Mountain.  Snow.  You get the idea.

Lake Wakatipu.

Carol and I were pretty nervous when we saw
this until our pilot assured us it was a controlled burn

The Remarkables from a Qtown runway


No comments: