Tuesday, January 31, 2023

What's So Great About The Great Pyramid?

Well, as it turns out, everything.  Upon walking up to it, the size and scope of it is stunning.  Yes, there are other pyramids right there.  And yes, that’s pretty mind-blowing, but it would be still mind-blowing if there was only the one.

Sam talked a lot about the construction and history of the pyramids as we stood in the shadow of the Great one.  I hadn’t realized it, but historians now believe that slave labor was NOT used.  Instead, it was workers taking breaks during the Inundation (flooding of the Nile) and working to curry favor with their gods.  They were fed well, and not whipped as once assumed.  In a way, they were trying to earn their way into heaven.

The pyramid has a number of mastabas around it, which are tombs of important assistants to the Pharaoh.  They are impressive in their own right, although it is amusing that they vied to be buried close to Pharaohs to show their importance in life and also in death.

After a bit, we went inside the Great Pyramid, which is the only one you can enter.  After a brief walk along a relatively flat passage, we went up.  At our age, it’s a strenuous up.  Most of the hard part came because we had to hunch over while climbing up.  The passageway has about three feet of clearance in some areas, all the while you are going up at a xx degree climb.

I was more worried about Carol than myself, as she is not a fan of tight spaces.  She can get a bit claustrophic at times, but she kicked the butt of the Great Pyramid.  I was not so nimble going up, so I got to the top long after Mary and Carol made it.  Neil made it about halfway up before turning around. I was worried I need to do the same.

Oh I could write about perseverance and all that, but I pretty much muddled through.  The second half of the climb was just as steep, but it was a more open passageway, so I could stand straight up.  Doesn’t mean it was easy, as I availed myself of a rest break anytime someone was coming back down.  I would scrunch myself against the handrail and act all sporting as I would wheeze, “oh no, go ahead I could use the break.”  It was best when there was a larger group coming down, giving me an excuse to rest a bit.

Upon reaching the top, to add insult to injury, I literally had to crawl through the short passage into the great hall.

It’s neat to be able to say I made it to the top of the Great Pyramid (also known as Cheops), but the great hall is of moderate size and interest.  Have been up longer, Carol and Mary headed down, whilst I wandered around in a bit of a daze.  We had to pay the man a dollar each to head back down.  It’s not part of the entry, just a fact of life in Egypt.  To be fair, his job requires him go up and down the pyramid, hang out in a hot room,  and make sure no one is an idiot and tries something dumb.  No doubt collecting “tips” is his way to feed his family.


Mary, Iron Tourist, and Mrs. Iron Tourist,
elated at reaching the top!

Going back down was easier than going up, although using my legs as a brake to ensure I didn’t pick up speed caused my thighs to burn.  We went on Thursday January 26, and today, Friday January 27 my thighs are still sore as can be.  

Once I reached the 3 foot high passage, I slowed down considerably.  I could hear two younger gentlemen behind me closing the gap.  I stopped to let them pass, and saw that they were esssentially speed butt crawling down.  I discarded the “speed” part of their journey, but did butt crawl down, which was far easier on my back. I finally made it all the way down and out of the pyramid.

Carol and I had conquered the pyramid!

No comments: