Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Running Thru History

Okay, so the blog post title is misleading -- it should be "Slowly Jogging Thru History," although that's not as action-oriented, even if true.

Just back from a 30 minute run through West Jerusalem, including the City Center, which is a pedestrian mall with shops lining the streets. Very few were open -- it's around 7am here, and the city is just coming to life. It's nice to see busses packed with people, whereas just a few years ago people were afraid to ride the busses because of suicide bombers. More than a few people have remarked that they used to be afraid to even stop at a light next to a bus, for fear they might get blown up too.

Anyhow, I make it a habit to try and go for a run or two anytime I'm in one of the great cities of the world (and I'd say Jerusalem qualifies). It's doubly inspiring. The only downside of running here is that the city truly consists of hills, so I ran up a hill, down a hill, and then back up a hill. By the time I got to the King David Hotel, I was happy that gravity works and it was all downhill from there!

No comments: