Monday, December 9, 2019

The Best of Pest in Pictures

This lion guarding Chain Bridge
is actually in Buda.  So sue me.

Buda Castle, the Danube, and on the extreme
right, Chain Bridge.  For a Sunday morning
coming down, there was a lot of boat
traffic on the river.

Yes, I did risk life and limb for this
shot, stepping into non-existent
traffic.  Don't fret -- I survived!

Fisherman's Bastion

The east side of the
Parliament building.

A cool building behind Parliament.

The back east side of the Parliament building

A memorial to the victims of Soviet
oppression in the 1956 Revolution.

Torie, Carol, and the two soldiers guarding the
Hungarian flag post.  Photo not possible
during the Cold War.

Like a lion in the winter, I
can hear the summer call.

Monument to Lajos Kossuth, who was honored
for something.  Daniel Webster wrote a book about
Kossuth's life.

Another former Hungarian leader.

I'm not sure which conflict this
memorial represents, but it is
done in the eastern European style.

Don't want to meet this guy
in a dark alley, or in battle.

A sun-splashed spire on the south
side of the Parliament building.

St. Matthias on the hill, and the
Calvinist Church on the Danube.

I still think Calvin and Hobbes is
the greatest comic strip of all-time.
Don't try to change my mind.

One last look at the Parliament building.

The shoes on the Danube.

St. Matthias.

I gotta believe this is left over
from their commie days.

No comments: