Sunday, April 1, 2018

Although It Looks Like We Were At A Klan Rally, Don’t Fret. . .It Only Looks That Way

Back in 2001, Maddy was five and in Kindergarten.  When I was in Kindergarten, I learned about snack time and nap time.  And I liked both.

Anyhow, we were watching our first procession.  Front row.  Maddy was on my shoulders, and the men on horseback come through.  Pretty cool.  Then the first group of penitents came along, and I gasped.  They were wearing all white hoods and robes.  It gave off a whole Mississippi Burning/Robert Byrd vibe.  But, I reminded myself, this is not that.  Not by a long shot.  This was a religious tradition/parade in another land, probably dating back hundreds of years.  Don’t connect our KKK with their religious tradition.

Maddy suddenly blurts out loudly, “I’ve heard about these people, they burn crosses on black people’s lawns.”  Lots of Spanish folks speak English.  I believe it’s that whole Beatles, Madonna, Beach Boys influence – they hear English pop music, and their English gets better.

Anyhow, because they understand English, heads whip around to see who said that.  Carol and I quickly, and loudly, say something like “no, no, no – that’s different.  This is not the same thing!  Don’t worry about these guys, they aren’t the bad guys.”  She settles down.

So of course, the next group of Penitents, from the same Brotherhood (meaning they are still wearing KKK-esque robes) comes parading along, carrying. . .you guess it, big wooden crosses.

So Maddy says, “see, I told you, they burn crosses on black people’s lawns!”  Heads whipped around so fast it’s amazing none came flying off their necks at us.  Again Carol and I denied it, but I’m not sure Maddy completely believed us.  Thank goodness the other brotherhoods we saw all week were wearing different colored robes.  

To this day, I wonder how I only learned about nap time and snack time, whilst marveling at Maddy’s awareness of the Klan.  Who said schools are getting worse?

By the way, to give Maddy credit, she must have heard us tell the story a million times, but not once has she tried to stop it.  There is a bit of eye-rolling by her, but it is a GREAT story.

So, now you have the context of why we were excited when this next group came parading along. . .it brings back fun family memories.

That night we feasted at a tapas bar right by our apartment, and drank wine and told stories until late.  The next morning, we had breakfast at the Hotel Casa de Poeta for free, as an apology for the problems we had parking.  All in all it was a perfect day (well, except for the car problems, Carmona lunch, and finding parking). 

No comments: