Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Some Iron Tourist Riffs on Prague

It’s time for some of my famous blog riffs on travel:

Okay, I have learned some things during our short stay in the Czech Republic. First, the country is part of the European Union, but is not on the Euro. Besides England and the Czech Republic, I wonder if there are any other countries in the Union not on the Euro?

Secondly, it is hard for someone who grew up into young adulthood during the Cold War (that’s me) to not slip and say, “Czechslovakia.” I find I keep slipping into that habit. We had a lengthy conversation at dinner last night about the Cold War and how different things are now compared to then. I noted that in 1984, when I was training and hitchhiking through Europe it never would have occurred to me to come to Prague – would have been too difficult and intimidating.

(By the way, I enjoyed the reference to “totalitarian communism” in the display at Prague Castle on the defense forces of the country throughout the years. So much for the worker’s paradise!)

Thirdly, and embarrassingly, the river that runs through the heart of Prague is NOT the Danube – it’s the Vltava. I don’t know why I assumed it was the Danube (possibly because we thought of going to Budapest, where I believe it splits the city – although I’m not sure of my Central European geography at all!). That has been good for a hearty laugh (multiple times) from my family at my expense, although I suppose I deserve it. For someone who was pretty good at geography in my day, I’d never once heard of the Vltava. Still don’t know where it empties into (once I have Internet access again, I will Czech it out).

Changing the subject, how did these magnificent buildings survive all these years?

Czech food is better than I expected, but also somewhat limited in menu options. There’s duck (prepared one way only, it appears), lamb, and beef. Or you can go to an Indian or Italian restaurant – which if we had stayed one day longer, would have happened. Maddy’s close to revolting – she likes the food, but wants a non-meat option.

The reason nearly every Czech we’ve met knows English to a varying degree is not because the country is overrun by English speaking tourists – although one does hear Americans, English, and Aussies around Prague. Instead, it is because all the stores and restaurants play pop music – Lady Gaga, Lady Antebellum, and some singers/groups not called Lady. Incessantly.

What do you call your Czech spouse? Czech mate!

While there are ATMs on every block in Western European countries, there are not many to be found here. And given that tourist attractions and even some restaurants only take cash, that’s a bit of a pain (so that’s a complaint!).

At a restaurant, how do you get your waiter to pay attention? Ask for the Czech!

Here’s something weird, Mr. Steven Jobs – our blackberries and my laptop charges normally, but my iPad is charging in very slow motion. I’ve had it plugged in for the better part of two days, and it’s only gone from 34% to 50% charged. Hopefully in Vienna it will charge more quickly, although we’ve got a lengthy train ride ahead of us, and I hope I have enough juice to last to there. (I write these on Word, and then cut and paste when I have Internet access, which hasn’t happened yet!)

Driving through the countryside of Virginia, I like to shout “hey!” and point to hay. Here, I point to stuff and say, “Czech it out!” The girls are not amused.

This trip is by far our most on the go Iron Tourist vacation yet – only two nights in any one locale, and we are visiting three countries. Last trip (two years ago) also involved three countries, but with the boat we were in the same “hotel” for a week – even if the boat moved around.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In fact, there are 11 EU countries that don't use the Euro. Factoid of the day.

Anonymous said...

I bet more countries...Greece, Ireland, Portugal, etc wish they weren't on the Euro right now.