Monday, October 7, 2019

The Magic Fountain

Although I had been sick from last night through mid-afternoon, I felt that the one walk we took was not enough.  Plus, I was worried that we were running out of time to see the Magic Fountain in action.

So, off we went, with Plaza Espanya as our goal.  My notes from a random, pre-trip website or guidebook had the post-October 1 hours of the fountain as 7:30-9 pm.  When we got there at 7:50, the water wasn't going, but the crowd was already significant, and building even further.  

It is also Octoberfest weekend in Barcelona, with the events centered at the exposition halls at Plaza Espanya.  The scene was chock full of people.

I checked my phone, and sure enough the hours are 9-10 pm after October 1st, and only on Friday and Saturday.  We were there over an hour early.  Carol, to my surprise, agreed to wait it out.

We had taken seats on the stairs above the fountain (coming down from the MNAC), but those proved to be uncomfortable for Carol's back.  So she went down to stretch her back and walk.  She was never able to get back up to me because the pathway that had existed on the stairs closed down as people took those seats.

Well, that also meant I was trapped up above, so we watched most of the time from our separate positions.  The fountains itself was fabulous. 

Built in 1928-29 for the Exposition, it took 3,000 men to get it done that quickly.  Many thought it could never be built.  

It started a few minutes before nine as a warm-up I suppose, but once the clock struck 9, the show really began.  We did not stay the whole time. . .about 25 minutes into it, a group of 15-20 people were leaving, so I let them be my blockers through the crowd.  Down on the fountain level, it was rather easy to move about, so Carol and I were quickly reunited.

The show itself is amazing. . .best water show since Old Faithful.  I'd rate it better than the Bellagio, for several reasons.  More colors, more sprays, more jets.  Very impressive.  They started with Spanish music to accompany it, but then went with rock standards from the 1960s (CCR, the Doors, the Beatles, Motown, and more).  Next, there were songs from the 1980s.  They blew right past the 1970s!

Definitely carve out time to go next time you are in Barcelona!

Later, of course, we had our pick pocket fun!  








No comments: