Wednesday, June 21, 2023

A Perfect Last Dinner In England

Our last stop for the day was at the Double Red Duke, a pub and inn in Clanfield, Bampton, not more than 15 mile west of Oxford.

(I still don't understand British addresses.  Clanfield is 82 miles from Bampton!)

Anyhow, Susan Eastoe had sent me the link to the 50 Best Pubs in Cotswold and recommended staying at a pub.  The idea was quite attractive, but I also liked the VRBO Dairy Yard Cottage (and we had a fantastic time there), so I made a Solomonic-like decision.  I booked three nights at DYC and the last night at the Double Red Duke (part of my thinking was it would get us closer to Heathrow).  

(Editor: So you are comparing your decision to a Biblical King of Israel, most famous for his wisdom, especially in the story of his recommendation to split the baby in half to sus out the real mother.  He is also credited with writing the books of Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, and the Song of Songs.  Writer: Okay, maybe I got carried away.)

Anyhow, my decision to split the baby three-quarters to one-quarter was a smashingly good choice.  Loved DYC, but enjoyed our one night at the Double Red Duke (DRD).  Not only was the room nice (with a nice patio that because of light rain we didn't really utilize), but the dinner was the best meal we had on the trip.

I had booked us two seats at the Chef's Counter for Monday night.  Turns out while there were people in the main restaurant, we were the only people at the Chef's Counter.  That afforded us plenty of time to banter with the chefs.  The head chef took the lead in talking with us, not just about the menu, but lots of other things.

Carol and I shared a scallop (they only had one left).  It is probably the best scallop I've ever had (even if only a half scallop!).  We also split the excellent burrata/tomato salad.  Then we split a rather large ribeye, which we enjoyed watching them grill on wood-fired inside grill right in front of us.  I always enjoy watching top-notch chefs work -- hence Cal Pep in Barcelona being my favorite restaurant in the world, with Cocina Hermanos Torres in second place.

We stayed at the counter until closing.  We bought the three chefs a pint at the end of the evening, which they appreciated.  Definitely a delicious, and entertaining dinner.

Our chefs at work.

No comments: