Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Ayutthaya, Aye, Yi, Yi

Before they had to drop off the trip, Mary Newhouse had set up a one day tour of Ayutthaya with a private guide.  Ayutthaya is the former capital of the Kingdom of Thailand and has many ruins of Buddhist temples.

We had all day Saturday free until meeting our trip CEO (he's wonderful), so it was good to check out Ayutthaya, which is, after all, a UNESCO World Heritage site.  And, after all, as you know. . .

(Editor: Yeah, we know -- "UNESCO means 'You Must Go.'"  Writer: Someday the head of UNESCO will see my phrase and pay me millions for them to be able to trademark it.  Editor: Or they will steal it!  Writer: Either way, a rapidly aging boy can dream, can't he?)

(For readers new to the blog, Carol and I are huge fans of UNESCO World Heritage sites.  While that may seem like an obvious thing to be fans of, we've been to many, many UNESCO sites, and only been underwhelmed twice.)

(Editor: Are you sure you weren't just whelmed?  Writer: No, we were definitely underwhelmed.) 

Founded in 1350, the urban planning involved in Ayutthaya served as the later model for Bangkok.  The city was sacked and burned in 1767 by the Burmese army, after which the capital was moved to Bangkok.

It's about an hour outside of Bangkok, so on the drive there, it was interesting to see the transition from city to country, and back to Ayutthaya.  Just because the capital was vacated in the 18th century, and the temples aren't doing well, doesn't mean the city is dead.  There are still around 50,000 residents.

The temples we visited were quite striking, quite a throw-back to the past.  That said, there were two drawbacks to the tour.  The first was that it was hellishly hot and humid.  Secondly, although we had an English-speaking tour guide, her English wasn't very clear.  Between the heat, the jet lag, and the guide being hard to understand, it took some of the interest out of the tour for me.  That said, I'm glad I went.  

Perhaps it is because I'm an American, and "old" there means the 1700 and 1800s, but old structures fascinate me.  The idea that these were built without power tools or gas engine powered equipment is mind-blowing to me.  Whenever I tell people from the Old World that I live near and work in "Old Town Alexandria, Virginia," I have to grovel with the usual disclaimers about the 1700s not being old.  People appreciate it when I do.

(Editor: No, I think they are just being polite.  Writer: Thanks, now you've burst my bubble.)

Anyhow, the different temples contained the five main building elements of Buddhist temples -- Stupas, Buddha images, Prangs, Pedestals, and Walls.

If someone tries illegally climbing a stupa, falls off, and dies, it is said that the person is "stupified."

(Editor: No, just no.  Just because you have hundreds of readers of your blog doesn't mean you get to use your lame dad jokes on them.  Writer: If I can't make myself laugh, why even write?)


No comments: