Thursday, January 25, 2024

Hello Muddah, Hello Fuddah

Still scarred from our experience at the National Palace in Bangkok, we flew to Chiang Mai, Thailand, hoping for cooler weather and less humidity.  And we got it.  Thankfully.

After getting to our hotel, Bun had us meet and took us into the heart of Chiang Mai to one of his favorite restaurants, Lemongrass.  Everyone had a huge time as we dove into the tasty Lanna Thai food.  

I had recovered from the impact of the terrible heat in Bangkok, and really enjoyed the dinner.

The group ready to eat at
Lemongrass in Chiang Mai.

The title of this post is from the famous Camp Granada novelty song by Allan Sherman in 1963.  For those unfamiliar with the song, it's sung as a letter home from summer camp by a kid to his parents.  At first its about how terrible the camp is and how he hates it, but then he ends up having a blast.  That's how things turned for Carol and I in Chiang Mai.

The song hit number two on the Billboard Hot 100.

Sample lyrics:

"Now I don't want this should scare ya
But my bunkmate has malaria
You'll remember Jeffrey Hardy
They're about to organize a searching party

"Take me home, oh muddah, faddah
Take me home, I hate Granada

Don't leave me out in the forest where
I might get eaten by a bear"

(Those lyrics represent us in Bangkok).

This is us in Chiang Mai and Luang Prabang:

Wait a minute, it's stopped hailing
Guys are swimming, guys are sailing
Playing baseball, gee that's better
Muddah, Faddah kindly disregard this letter."

No comments: