Tuesday, January 23, 2024

What A Long, Strange Trip It's Been

(I'm way behind on the blog -- we've been busy, and jet lag has made it difficult for me to get up early and write.  But I should be making up time over the next few days.)

Most of the time I don’t write about our trip for our travel, but our flights to our G Adventures trip to Southeast Asia – Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia – provided a bit of drama, so here we go.

We were supposed to fly from Dulles Airport to Vancouver, Canada, and then to Bangkok – a west flight.  Since we’re flying back from Siam Reap to Hanoi to Frankfurt to Dulles, I thought it was kind of neat that we would end up flying around the world on the trip.

Except as our Uber pulled up to Dulles, I got a notification on my phone that our flight from Dulles was delayed by approximately ninety minutes.  No big deal I thought, as we had a nearly three hour layover in Vancouver.  

But, as we got up to the pretty empty Air Canada desk, Carol asked them if we would make our connection on time.  I was pretty nonchalent, until the Air Canada desk personnel got all a flutter.  Then I got back to back notifications of further flight delays, and there would be no way to make our flight in Vancouver. 

The two women behind the counter immediately went to work.  They were excited to help solve our problem, and were able to reroute us to Toronto, Paris, and then Bangkok (the last leg via Air France).  They even reopened the flight to Toronto for us, allowing our luggage to make the plane.
As we rushed to catch the Toronto flight, we were very appreciative of the extra effort they gave us.  

We lost the chance to fly around the world, but, since we got into Bangkok only three hours later than planned, instead of 24 hours later, we were pretty relieved.

No comments: