Friday, March 30, 2018

It's Not An Adventure Until Dad Melts Down

We decided to stop in Carmona, a classic white hill town in Andulucia (white hill towns are not about race. . .they are towns built on hills for defensive reasons, with all/nearly all buildings painted white to fight off the summer heat.).

After parking right near the castle, we decided to get a late lunch.  The cafĂ© we sat at was a mistake.  We had gotten some of the tapas, but not all.  The waiter had forgotten our second round of water after we ordered it.  

I felt like we were being ignored and wasting time, so I threw a bit of a fit to my more patient wife and daughters.  Torie especially got frustrated with me, assuming I was not open to Spanish culture (a culture that is slower than the States, believe it or not!).  In my defense, the women were drinking Tinto de Verona and I was the designated driver.  Finally we got the check, paid, and left.  As we headed for the castle, it had, of course, closed.  After scraping the side of the Volvo in the parking garage at our VRBO apartment, this was the cherry on the top of my sh*t sandwich for the day.
Bell Tower In Carmona

Castle in Carmona

Our "hero" pre-melt down.

We left Carmona in a bad mood (somewhat my doing, but I still felt we were wasting time).  The good news was, our next stop was Seville.  The bad news is, finding parking in Seville on Palm Sunday, the first day of Semana Santa (Holy Week) would not be easy.

Don’t get me wrong.  I do enjoy the Spanish tapas bar lifestyle, but I did not feel like I was living it right then and there.

No comments: