Friday, March 30, 2018

It’s Not Really An Adventure Till The Second Thing Goes Wrong!

Sunday morning in Cordoba we threw together another breakfast, this time of chocolate croissants (Maddy had a triple chocolate donut), a little bit of jamon, cheese, bread, some olives, and some strawberries.   The croissants were as good as we’ve had – when there is a line of locals buying them on Palm Sunday. 

We packed up and got ready to go to Seville.  There was still the matter of pulling out of the tight garage.  Pulling out of the spot was not that hard, but there was no simple way to get out of the garage itself, as there was no space to turn to go up.  Going at it from the left did not work, so I tried the right.  It was not any easier.  It was obvious at a point that I was in big trouble – no way forward and no way back.  

We got a couple of towels to protect the car in case of a scrap, but they proved to be useless.  An older woman who lived in the building was leaving.  She watched with interest, and then horror, as I tried to get out without damage.  She also tried calling someone; perhaps the building manager, but got no answer.  There was no answer.

Finally I just accepted my fate and gunned the car forward, providing a massive scrap along the back right side of the car.  

Thankfully I had, at Hertz, paid extra for the full insurance.  Let me tell you it was worth it.  In the States I decline the insurance, but when the woman behind the Hertz counter offered it, I thought of narrow streets, small park spaces, and tight underground garages (actually, not the latter, but boy was my decision lucky!).

The Volvo SUV (still smaller than a typical American SUV) had been stunningly beautiful.  Now, it needed major body work.  Always get the insurance full insurance when renting in Europe!

I was kind of mad, but also kind of philosophical – once I was in the tight spot, there was no getting out without pain, so I just ripped off the bandage, buoyed by the fact that I was not going to be paying for it.

No comments: