Saturday, March 24, 2018

Just A Traveling Spoon

Dinner was thanks to an email I had received back in early December.  I was lucky to have even looked at it. . .at the time it was one of a torrent of Christmas-related emails from one of many sites I often ignore their constant badgering.

But, instead, there was something in the subject line that caused me to open it.  From a foodie site, Tasting Table, I think it had to do with five different experiences that make great gifts.  Four of the five held little to no interest, but one was for Traveling Spoon.  It's a website that lists cities around the world, and offers the chance for a cooking school or home cooked, local meal by a vetted chef.

One of the cities listed was Marrakesh (by the way, the list has grown significantly since I first started looking at the site).  I was drawn by the description of Moroccan fusion food in a 500 year old riad, filed it away in my mind, and eventually booked it.

Anyhow, as the previous blog post details, we had an adventure getting to the riad, so I told myself it was time to put that behind us and enjoy dinner.

Edwina, our Australian host, was plenty friendly and outgoing.  Turns out she moved to Spain after the death of her son/chef.  In 2002 she moved to Morocco, bought a riad that took a number of years to fix up, and opened her cooking school.  At the end of our dinner we met a British woman on holiday at the school for a week.  It all seems quite interesting, but a cooking school would be more Carol's bag than mine, unless it involved grilling.

Edwina's cooking is amazing.  She works with Hasna, a Moroccan woman, and creates incredible food, whisked right to us.  With our schedule, we did not partake in the cooking, which I do believe Carol would have enjoyed.

The first dish, blistered aubergines (eggplant) was amazing.  The second dish was some sort of sardines and zucchini, prepared in a unique way.  Finally the main course, which came out on a long plate and included pigeon meatballs, deconstructed Moroccan chicken, a soup, peppers and several other small bites.  To be fair to Edwina, I can not describe the meal fairly -- it was an explosion of flavors.  

Dessert was some sort of chocolate ganache covered pastry with toffee/and a date combined.  I wish I had the presence of mind to take pictures of each course, but we were so busy diving into it that I forgot.  Well, you'll just have to go to Edwina's for dinner yourselves!

After we said our goodbyes (Edwina joins us for significant parts of the meal for discussion and eating), we walked back to the car.  It only involved one left turn to get back. . .the challenge is knowing where to turn on the way.  The way back was an enticing walk past shops.

We would definitely look at booking another Traveling Spoon meal in the future.

No comments: