Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Is Your Mama An Iguana?

When our daughters were young, one of the books we would read to them was titled “Is Your Mama A Llama?” Hence the use of that phrase in a Peru posting.  Well, it also works for describing South Plaza Island, our second expedition of the, er, expedition.

Iguanas were definitely the highlight of the island.  South Plaza used to be joined to North Plaza Island, but they split from each other and the ocean floor because of a geological uplift that happened over a million years ago.  

It was a 6:30 am departure from the ship, with a dry landing on a concrete jetty that would no longer be allowed to be built.  

It’s a short trail, but a dramatic one nonetheless.  And there was lots to see, including many sea lions, numerous seabirds, huge prickly pear cactus trees, but the star are the land iguanas.  On some islands, the land iguanas have nearly been wiped out by feral dogs, but on South Plaza they are thriving.

Always say hi to the first
iguana you meet each day.

The foot is just as cool as the head.

Another Sally Lightfoot crab, the
only one I saw on South Plaza Island.

By "Prickly Pear Trees" I mean trees.

By his expression you would
think he's deep in thought.

Walking up the trail, our guide Walter pointed out many iguanas and talked a lot about their behaviors.  At the top of the island, we stopped to watch the seabirds freewheeling through the sky, nesting on the cliffs, and taking off over the island.

Neil mugging for the camera.

Sanjiv mugging for the camera.

Epic beauty.


Not the same iguana as
the one above this photo.

Also at the top, there was a small hand painted sign that simply said, “Stop.”  Wise ass that I can be, I wondered aloud about what bad occurrence prompted the placement of the sign.  Walter noted quietly that a naturalist had gotten to close to the edge of the cliff, fallen, and died.  I decided then and there not to make that joke the next time we saw that sign.  I had already noted not to risk getting to close to the edge, a decision ratified by the story of the dead naturalist.

(Editor’s Note: Stay classy.  Blogger: Well, I’ve got no retort on this one).

We walked along the cliffside, spotting birds, iguanas, and, looking down to the lower side of the island, picking out sea lions amongst the rocks.  






We saw our first Blue Footed Boobies, which are the birds everyone wants to see.

Waves crashing into the cliffs. 
There were birds flying
everywhere.  I just can't get
good pics of birds whilst
they fly.

I can get them whilst they
hang out on cliffs.

Everybody look left.
Everybody look right.
Everywhere you look I'm
standing in the spotlight!

The beautiful Blue Footed Boobie.

Okay, so they look at bit deranged.
On the other hand, this one lives on a 
cliff.  So I get the feelings of
derangement.

You can tell it's a Blue Footed Boobie
because the feet are blue. (Editor's
Note: I'm surprised you weren't hired
on the spot to work as a naturalist.
Blogger: Me too!)

Then we headed back down to the lower shore, where the sea lions are, and they watched us disinterestedly as we ooh’d and ahh’d over them.  

Sea lions will 

pretty much

sleep anywhere and in

any position.

The Nazca Boobie, also known
as the Masked Boobie.  Now
I can say I've watched Masked
Boobies but not the Masked Singer.

The landscape where no
prickly pear cactus trees grow.

Not every sea lion gets to
make it to adulthood.



Stretch time!

The hike was easy, a great big circle, and stunning.  Towards the end, I had a nice chat with Andre and his mother Claudia.  The group returned on the zodiac boat, having earned our breakfast.

After the snorkeling gear briefing/sorting out, we were able to jump off the ship into the sea.  The platform for jumping off was a bit awkward for me, as I quickly deduced I was more likely to hit my head on the deck above, knock myself out, and fall senseless into the sea.  That would put a damper on the rest of my day, so instead I went down by the ladder and jumped in there.  I saw at least one brave fellow jump from the second deck, and there were many well-done cannonballs, can openers, dives, and even flips.

No comments: