Monday, August 19, 2024

Illinois Nazis. Dubrovnik Nazis. Is There A Difference?

We pretty much had a perfectly lovely first dinner at Restaurant Orsan, at the marina on the north side of Dubrovnik.  

Seated at a lovely waterside table, we were enjoying our first taste of Croatian wine, Maddy and I had oysters to start, and some tasty main courses.  

Normally I don't write about meals unless there's a good reason.  And the reason I'm writing about this meal is not a reason we've ever experienced before.  

The gentleman eating solo at the table sort of next to ours.  (By sort of, I mean there was a wide walkway between our table and his table).

I don't know if he had been talking with the four men at the table next to him, but after a bit he started shouting that the four are Nazis.  Over and over again.  How he didn't want to eat sitting near Nazis.  

Are the four men Nazis, I don't know.  They were pretty quiet and didn't seem to engage with the man.  Was this a truthteller or a crazy man.  

For some reason Carol thought it necessary to tell me not to get involved.  No kidding.  I had no idea what was going on, other than having our dinner disturbed by constant sounds of "Nazis.  These men either are Nazis or they are not, but I couldn't tell, and I certainly wasn't going to go all Indiana Jones on them just on the word of one shouting man.

Eventually the restaurant staff convinced the shouting man to leave, although as he left he got in a few more shouts of "Nazis."


Things quieted down after that.  Are they Nazis?  I don't know.  I sure hope not.

No comments: