Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Fidel is Dead. Long Live the NFL.

So, out of curiosity, I had turned on the TV after the beach and watched some of the Green Bay-Seattle “game” (Green Bay killed them).  At one point, flipping through the channels, came across a Cuban TV station showing a paean to Fidel Castro.  I half expected it to be a “if you act now, we will throw in his famous five hour 1966 speech!”  But, I didn’t wait around to see if it was.

After dinner, I flipped on the TV and found that they WERE broadcasting the Giants-Cowboys game!  I never expected to be able to watch my New York football Giants from Cuba.  The NFL, despite recent problems, continues their worldwide march!  I assume these channels, including CNN international, are just at the resorts.  Some of the channels are in English, while others are in Spanish.  It may have been on ESPN out of Mexico, but muting the Spanish announcers was a fine way to enjoy the game.  I should probably mute American announcers back home.

Short story short, my Giants beat the now 11-2 Cowboys with punishing defense, and one lucky offensive play.  It was fun to watch, and particularly interesting to see the commercials running in lieu of the tired American commercials I’ve seen too many times throughout the season.

I never expected to watch a Giants game in Varadero, Never.

2 comments:

tspranger said...

This is my favorite post. Go Pack Go!

Unknown said...

Lucky play? OBJ ran as if he pushed the turbo button. That's not luck.