Thursday, December 15, 2016

So, This Is What It Is Like To Relax On Vacation


I can’t say it enough.  The beach at our resort, Melia Americas in Varadero (go ahead, look it up on a map – two hours east of Havana), is one of the most spectacular beaches we’ve ever been to. . .and having been to Australia, Hawaii, the BVI, Puerto Rico, and multiple US beaches.

The palm trees are stunning (Cuba has more than 90 different types of palms), but it is the smoothness/softness of the sand that makes the beach particularly memorable.  Don’t look for us to come back with major tans. . .we stayed hidden in the shade of our palm frond palapas (umbrellas) that are conveniently everywhere along the beach.

All beaches in Cuba are public, although that does not mean this one is easy to get to.  The resort is gated. . .when we returned from dinner Monday night we had to show our wristbands to prove we belong (otherwise, since it is all inclusive, everyone would be showing up for free beer, wine, and food!).   The gate is quaint. . .the person working the gate has to come out and open it manually by hand.  Cuba is not into efficiency. . .although it is not like it is hard to pop out of the booth and open the gate.

We didn’t even go out to the beach until 10am or so.  We got up when we woke up, and I slept in till 7am (oversleeping!).  We went down to the breakfast buffet. . .plenty of good options available, and then I bought an internet card and did so email.

The only problem, at the resort re internet, is that my laptop refused to accept the security of their internet.  So, I had to use my iPad, which meant I was spending $2.99 a minute on data.  That adds up quickly, so I hopped on, handled email, and then hopped off.  It’s also why the blog is several days behind posting.

So, we went out to the beach, where I spent much of the time reading “Barbarian Days, A Surfer’s Life.”  I figured, with the sound of crashing waves providing a sound track, it was a good choice.  After kayaking, Carol and I went for a swim.  I tied my backpack up to my chair, figuring it slow any thieves down (can’t trust those Canadian tourists!).

Then it was back to the buffet for lunch (there were other restaurants, but the buffet had plenty of choices, so it was an easy default option.  After lunch it was back to the beach.  Carol kept apologizing for spending such a lazy day, but surprisingly I was fine with it!

Mid-afternoon, we went out on a small catamaran.  I brought my iPhone and got some great pictures.  Our Cuban captain (one was required, tourists couldn’t just take the cat out) spoke extremely proficient English. . .turns out he had lived in the Bahamas for six years.  The catamaran zipped through the winds – it was a great sail, albeit too short.

After we got back, we started chatting with the folks on the lounge chairs next to us.  They were, like many at the resort, Canadian.  Very nice to talk to, although they were quite critical of many things (French Canadians, Buffalo, Americans, kids in general, Mexico, and more).  This was their third and fourth times to Varadero – it’s a short direct flight from Toronto.  This time they were staying ten days (sorry, beautiful resort, but ten days?  Not a chance!).  They had golfed six times, and rotated among the resort’s restaurants. . .never going off campus, as it were.

There is a nice walk up bar just behind where we were all sitting, and they serve Cerveza (the Cuban brand names are Crystal – lighter colored – and Buccanero – slighter darker).  Crystal is all they have at the beach bar, which they pour into four ounce plastic cups.  I made multiple trips. . .and I also went for Carol’s pina coladas.  Service was fine, but got infinitely more responsive when I left a three CUC tip.  After that, they started bringing the drinks out to us.
 

No comments: