Friday, February 9, 2024

They're Not Saying "Gucci Tunnels" They're Saying "Cu Chi Tunnels"

Even before we went to the famed Cu Chi tunnels not far from Ho Chi Minh City, I had come to the realization that the North Vietnamese and the Viet Cong had won the war because it was the historical equivalent of the American Revolution, with the South Vietnamese and the Americans playing the role of the Loyalists and the British, while the North were the American revolutionaries.

Despite the reputation of the Americans, the desire and local knowledge was all on the side of the North.  \

After touring the tunnels, Carol noted to me that a people willing to spend months living in and fighting from the tunnels were going to win based on will alone.  The communists wanted it more, needed it more.

Cu Chi is still within Saigon, although it is well on the outskirts.  It was very close to an American base, and was used for military campaigns, including being used in the defining Tet Offensive. 

From Wikipedia:

"The tunnels were used by Viet Cong soldiers as hiding spots during combat, as well as serving as communication and supply routes, hospitals, food and weapon caches and living quarters for numerous North Vietnamese fighters. The tunnel systems were of great importance to the Viet Cong in their resistance to American forces, and helped to counter the growing American military presence."

The tour was more interesting than I expected.  Not only did we see a small portion of the miles of tunnels, but we saw various examples of booby traps, hidden tunnel entrances/exits, examples of kitchens, weapons caches, and more.  There are also massive B-52 bomb craters.  We saw how they used massive termite mounds to create airholes, including using termites to help create the airholes.

The workers there demonstrated how the punji pits and explosives worked.  It was pretty grim and scary.

There was a lot of ingenuity that went into the tunnel complex. 

While the tunnels gave the Viet Cong a massive military advantage, life in the tunnels was difficult.  Malaria and intestinal parasites were common

Given how small the tunnels were, I didn't go into the one 20 yard section you could crawl through -- I'm not sure I would have fit, and I know for certain that I would be alternating banging my head and scraping my back against the tunnel ceiling, assuming I could even fit into it.  I banged my head enough times already on this trip, I didn't need to do it again.  

I did go into the commanders room, which also involved me crawling on my hands and knees to get to it.  At least I could stand up once I crawled through the small dirt hallway to get there.

It's well worth your time to visit if you are in Saigon.

No comments: