Thursday, September 14, 2017

Glamping: Hoo Doo Knew It Could Be So Loud

Well, it’s 6:05 am Monday as I’m writing this on the porch outside my tent.  The glamping (glamour camping) experience has been mostly positive, but with one big negative.  I wish I had bought earplugs (on the optional gear list) because the wind causes the tent to shake and make a lot of noise.
It’s fine when asleep, but I would be woken up by a particularly loud wind, and then have trouble getting back to sleep.  Others in the group said they thought it was heavy rain (foreshadowing!).  Beyond that, the experience so far has been great – good food, a nice mesquite camp fire, and sleeping on a cot in a sleeping bag was fine – when I could sleep.

After dinner we sat around the campfire and sang songs of the Old West.  (Editor's Note: you did NOT.)  Okay, we told stories until one by one we headed off to our tents to dream of hoo doos and hikes.

Having a tent to myself makes it easy – I’ve placed my bag on the unused cot, pulled out what I need, and can arrange things quite well.  The place has two flush toilets with sinks, and two separate shower rooms a short walk away from the tents.  It was no trouble at all to use the toilet in the middle of the night like us old guys have to do.

Now I’m waiting for the sunrise and blogging – it should be spectacular given the setting of our private campground on private land just outside of Bryce Canyon National Park.  I’m using my headlamp to see the keyboard.

No comments: