Thursday, September 14, 2017

Water, water, get yourself in the cool, clear water.

I got up early to blog and watch the sunrise.  It rises late this far west – came up around 7:20.  Unlike in Maine, the sun does not come up over the flat, low ocean, it rises up above the mountains, so that makes it even later to rise.  Even before the sunrise, there was plenty of light.

After a pretty tasty camp-made breakfast by Kale (yes, that's his real name, and I checked the spelling) and Chance, we piled back into the shuttle bus for the slightly over an hour ride to Grand Escalante Staircase National Monument.  On the way there (and back, of course) we drove all the way around Powell’s Point.  From straight on the side it looks magnificent – like a temple of old.  From behind (well, from my perspective) it is also quite grand.

Once we entered the semi-controversial national monument, the land is quite striking.  Amanda drove through much of it before we got to the parking lot for the Calf Creek Trail and Campground.  Calf Creek feeds into the Escalante River, which eventually feeds into the Colorado.

We hiked at least seven miles round trip – an in and out hike to a brilliant 92 foot high waterfall and pool.  The hike was jaw-dropping, through a lush green valley full of cottonwood trees, bushes, and more.  We were in a canyon with 500 foot walls, and saw a walled Native American granary of the Fremont people high up a cliff for protection, and some cliff art (pictographs) as well.

The day had started cool, but warmed up enough that I didn’t bring any long sleeves/long pants.  And that was a good decision, as it got warm in a hurry.  The trail itself was easy – a few ups and downs, and a total elevation gain of maybe 300 feet.  There were a few small rock scrambles, but it was not hard at all.

At many points we came within sight or sound of the creek.  It was strikingly clear, but not very wide.  But it is incredible because water flows all the time, and it keeps the big, wide valley lush and green.

At one point, one of the women noted that her calves were going to be sore, and I quipped, that’s why it is called Calf Creek!  I also filled Chance in on some good guiding jokes.  But for the most part, the hike was about enjoying the views and, of course, taking loads of pictures.

Sometimes we hiked through high brush and it felt like a dry jungle.  Most of the time, however, we were out in the open, with unobstructed views of magnificent cliffs and brilliant views down and up the valley.

Once again, I was generally the slowest hiker, but I took over 200 photos.  It wasn’t my speed that was the issue, it was the fact that I kept stopping for photos and to drink it all in.  As I’ve noted, this is my first time to Southern Utah, and it amazes me like Arizona does.  When I was hiking with the group, I stayed with the group, but I often dropped behind because of photos.  I am happy with the lightweight camera, and the ability to zoom as much as 1365 is pretty fabulous, allowing for some dramatic close-ups.

Eventually, we turned a corner and heard the waterfall, and then caught glimpses of it.  Once we arrived, it was a stunning vista – smooth rock, green algae, falling water, and a huge pool of cold, refreshing water.

I had taken Amanda’s advice and skipped the bathing suit, preferring instead to wear my quick dry hiking shorts in the water.  The water was very cold but felt great.  I dove under a few times, which certainly shook off any tiredness!  There was a guy fishing in one side of the pool, so I kept a wary eye on him to make sure I didn’t get hooked.  To his credit, he worked to make sure he didn’t cast anywhere near me.  To his debit, since he didn’t even get a bite the whole time we were there, it seemed pretty pointless to me.  But, that’s why it is called “fishing” instead of being called something like “fun!”  (Lots of people like to fish.  I’m not one of them.)

I sung (to myself, I’m not totally crazy!) My favorite Beach Boys song, “Water, water, get yourself in the cool clear water.”  It’s an obscure one from the early 1970s.

The one mistake I made was not taking a good picture of the beach, with the trees and rocks.  Instead I focused on the waterfall.  We hung on the beach and ate lunch – I had made myself a turkey and cheese tortilla sandwich with tomatoes and red peppers.  After the cold swim it was the best tortilla sandwich ever.  The beach is beautiful – highly recommend Calf Creek for anyone who ventures out to this area of the country.

One European fellow scooted up a hill to change.  But instead of going behind the trees/bushes, he stood in front of them, so I got a full view of a European butt.  Go ahead and mock me, but there are lots of times when American modesty is a good thing.  This was definitely one of those times.

The hike back was quicker, but more spectacular.  With the sun fully risen, canyon walls that had been in the shade were now seen in their fullest glory.  So, instead of taking pics of just one side, both sides were well light.  And, of course, we were coming at the views from the other angle, so it was all new again.  One could never tire of the splendor.

I can’t speak for the group, but from their comments, everyone loved the hike.  

No comments: