Thursday, September 12, 2024

A Magical Morning In Libourne

Friday's are Libourne market day.  There were options to take a quick tour of the market, and then head to a chateau, a couple of different maisons (houses), or a moulin (a mill).  Our group of four decided to chart our own course and wander through the historic village of Libourne.

Founded in 1270 by an Englishman, Libourne is quite enticing to walk around.  We headed straight for the market, as I had barely eaten any breakfast, instead seeking my sustenance at the market.

The sprawling market is at the main square (Place Abel Surchamp).  The town hall (and clock tower) is the main feature, but there is also a well there.  Dad joke alert: The well is famous, so you could say it is a well-known well!

So for breakfast, I had fresh raspberries, a chocolatine, and finally oysters.  A chocolatine is a chocolate croissant, although it's not called pan au chocolate in southwest France like it is in the rest of the country.

I don't care what it's called, as long as it's calling my name!

We wandered around the market for a while, taking in the options.  I also bought a bag of olives to have with afternoon beers over the next couple of days.  

Olives, oysters, chocolatine, and raspberries!  I was in heaven!

Town hall behind the market.  I'd guess that
90% of the market is food, except for a
handful of tables, including this one.

Less than a half hour later,
lightning would strike the
clock tower.  

(Editor: This is NOT "Back
To The Future!"

I think I slurped down more
oysters in France than I've
had in the USA.

Our next stop was at the Church of St. John the Baptist.  The outside is undergoing renovation, but we were able to get inside.  I can not find any detailed historical information on the internet about it, other than it was renovated in the 19th century.  

That does me little good, as I can't remember when it was built.

The church tower is 233 feet high.

The beautiful altar.

The ceiling is dark but
the arches are stunning.


A thorn, said to be a relic of the
crown of thorns that Jesus wore
while being mocked by Roman
soldiers.  I don't pass
judgment on whether it
is or is not.

From the church we walked to one of the most beautiful and affecting war memorials I have ever seen.  It's on the side of a random street at the outskirts of the old city.  While walking to it, the memorial was blocked by a building.  As we were approached, I worried that we had wasted our time.  Thankfully, I was wrong.

The memorial sculpture in honor of the town's World War I dead is plenty affecting, but the beautiful gardens surrounding the sculpture were the piece d'resistance.  The photos of it don't do it justice, but I tried.  It is a place of peacefulness and harmony, a small area that honors the townsmen who died fighting for France.  Unlike World War II, where it is still clear what people were sacrificing for (to fight the evil of evils, Nazism), it's not clear (to me at least) what the point of World War I is, except to have defeated the Germans.

The sculpture.  The cloudy day
photo does not do it justice.



Several gardens like this surrounded
the monument and increased the beauty
of the setting immensely.



While we were there, some of the clouds
broke up and blue sky revealed itself.

If you are ever in Libourne, make it a point to see the War Memorial.  It's a reminder that even in chaos beauty can be found.

Our final stop before we had to be back aboard the ship was at a place we had been before, but only at night -- the Grand Port Tower.  But first we found ourselves on the beautifully decorated Rue Gambetta, chock full of little shops including patisseries.

Not sure what this street
decoration is out of, but
we need this on walkable
streets in American towns
and cities.

Another view.

And one more for good measure.

Another view of Town Hall on the
market square on our way to the
Grand  Port Tower.

The Gate of the Grand Port Tower.

Us and the Tower.

Tour Richard

The smaller tower is Tour Barre.

Chateau on the other side
of the Dordogne River.

Another view of our ship.

No comments: