Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Oysters And Crepes And Figs, Oh My!

The riverside Sunday farmer’s market in the city of Bordeaux is one of the wonders of the world.  Stretching a long way, there are treats galore.  Some food to eat immediately, and lots of fresh fruit and vegetable stands.

There’s also fresh-baked bread, butchers, seafood, and countless treats.  You could buy cooked seafood to eat there or take home.  The market was busy, but only a couple of lines were too long.

I wanted three things – figs, a Nutella crepe, and fresh local oysters shucked right in front of me.  All three of my wants were there. The figs I simply brought on board to enjoy one at a time over the first few days of the trip.

The half dozen oysters were perfect.  They came with a small slice of a baguette, a lemon slice, and a Dixie Cup of white local wine.  All of that for less than two Euro per oyster.  I was happy as an oyster slurping down on my find.

(Editor: Don’t you mean “happy as a clam?”

Writer: I wasn’t eating clams that morning, now was I?)

From there, I marched straight to the crepe stall, and ordered my nutella crepe.  

It was all bliss.

Fresh cooked shrimps.

Calamari

The vegetables were beautiful,
as typified by these peppers

I gave serious thought to buying a
rotisserie chicken and tearing into
it, but it would have quite messy.

Fresh oysters and a Dixie
Cup of rando French wine.

Alas I was too busy eating to take a picture of the crepe.  But I've only ever had great crepes at French markets.

(Editor: You've only ever had two crepes at French markets, Bordeaux and Bayeux.

Writer: So, they've both been great to eat on their own terroir.

Editor: "Terroir" does not apply to crepes!

Writer: I say it does -- there's no better crepe than one made in front of you at a French farmer's market.  Terroir has to be a reason!

Editor: Wine people are going to be laughing at you.

Writer: I wear their scorn as a badge of honor!  I'm not bowing down to any terroir terrorists!) 

No comments: