Thursday, September 12, 2024

Saint-Emilion For The Win

If you held a gun to my head and asked me my favorite Bordeaux appellation, I'd pause to think, and then reply Saint-Emilion.  

I like the majority merlot blend quite a bit.  Other appellations are more prestigious, and don't get me wrong -- I like the other ones quite a bit.  

If you offer me one of the Big Seven as they are called, I'll definitely take the glass and enjoy it.  And go back for more.

(Editor: I've never seen it called "the Big Seven."

Writer: Well, you've never heard "UNESCO means you must go!" before me either.  What can I say, I can coin a phrase!

Editor: Are you claiming you've trademarked those two phrases?

Writer: Sadly no.

Editor: We're not done yet -- what are the Big Seven™? (Ugh, now you are doing the trademark to me!)

Writer: In alpha order: Margaux, Paulliac, Pessac-Leognan, Pomerol, Saint-Emilion, Saint-Estephe, and Saint-Julian.)

So I knew I liked wine from the Saint-Emilion appellation, but I didn't realize until we toured it just how beautiful the town is, even in the rain.

This was a guided tour -- we took the bus from Libourne through Pomerol to Saint-Emilion.  On the way Carol and I spotted a couple of our favorite Chateaus, including La Confession, which, loosely translated, means "the confession."

(Editor: No kidding.

Writer: I kid you not!)

It is a medieval city and, yes, a UNESCO World Heritage site (as are the surrounding vineyards!)

(Editor: So, what are you saying?

Writer: Every time I crack a Saint-Emilion, I'm drinking the terrior of a UNESCO site.

Editor: That's pretty cool!

Writer: Wait, we're in agreement?)

Like most towns/cities in America, Saint-Emilion's history goes back approximately 35,000 years.  Besides wine, the town is famous for its own style of macaroons.  Alas, I didn't get a taste.

It's also famous for the monolithic church.  Turns out a "monolithic" church is made from a single slab of stone.  I'll let Wikipedia provide more info: 

The monolithic church of Saint-Émilion is an 11th century church carved entirely out of a limestone cliff. It is one of the largest underground churches in Europe, with an estimated 15,000 cubic meters of rock extracted. The great hall measures 38 meters long and 20 meters wide, divided into three naves of six bays.

We walked through the quaint, scenic town past old walls, down cobblestone streets, to the monolithic church, which is located below its church tower before entering into a cave-like structure.

Before we entered the gates of the church, we got a good look at the picturesque lower part of the town from a plaza on the side of a hill.

In the church there are catacombs and columns, altars and the remains of old frescos and murals.

After that, we walked around town more on our way back to the bus.  On the way, I popped into a little wine shop to buy some wine.  The proprietor insisted that I taste some wines.  I was in a bit of a rush, but if she was going to ply me with a free wine tasting (semi-free, as I bought two bottles to have with dinner on the ship), I was there to have some tastes.  

I tasted two wines, told her that was enough and I had to go.  She wanted me to try more, but I refused, mostly because I figured I would be left behind.  After my purchase, I rushed back to the bus, whilst our guide had headed out to look for me.

No comments: