Friday, June 8, 2018

It Was The Best of Dried Haddock, It Was The Worst of Dried Haddock

Both statements are true. . .as it was my first (and last) time eating tasting dried haddock.  More on that below.

After retracing our steps from the Back of Beyond. . .digression alert. . .the sheep are very cool to see.  I’m not sure why we are fascinated by sheep, whether it is here, home, or the Scottish Highlands.  I mentioned this in an earlier post, but to me the two most fascinating aspects of the sheep are that they come in threes (mom and two lambs) and that there appear to be more black sheep per capita than any other sheep kingdom in the world.

(Editor’s Note: “fascinating aspects of the sheep” – are you serious? Blogger: Hits ignore button.  Editor’s Note: “sheep kingdom.”  Blogger: Sigh.  Hits ignore button again.  Editor’s Note: One more try – are you joking or serious about the more black sheep per capita?  Blogger: Okay, I will respond to this one – I have NO IDEA.  It’s either true news or fake news.  Now just stop!)

Trying again.  After retracing our steps (well, our ride) through the desolate green land of fascinating rock formations, and back down the hill again (hence the sheep digression above), we headed out to the black sand beach right by the large rock monolith we had seen from a distance.

Giorgio set up a small self-serve bar, featuring a licorice-flavored hard Icelandic alcohol for shots, dried haddock crisps (I know it sounds bad, but it actually tastes worse than it sounds, if that’s possible), and wafer cookies.  I skipped the alcohol, called Brennivin, not being much of a day drinker (except at football tailgates or at the Rockfish Valley wine, beer, cidery tours).  I “dropped” the crisp dried haddock on to the sand and buried it.  The cookies were great, however, so I had that going for me.  Some of the group had multiple shots of the alcohol, but Carol did not like it.  Different strokes and all that.

Apparently Brennivin is an Icelandic fixture, as we saw a big display in the airport duty free shop on our way to Oslo (yes, I’m several days behind on posting!).  We passed by the display quite quickly.

Along with the beautiful black sand, and being down miles away from where we had first seen the Ayer’s Rock equivalent, there was also an interesting lava rock formation sticking out of the beach.

(Blogger's Note: I wrote this, but forgot to post it.  Sorry that the trip is out of order, but it happens.)

No comments: