Monday, November 28, 2022

My Fellow Travelers Get The Last Word

When it is more than just Carol and I on a trip, I like to ask everyone some questions to get their perspective on it.  I don’t answer my own questions; you’ve heard enough from me with these long blog posts.  I appreciate your indulgence in reading these.  

First question: 

What is your favorite aspect of Barcelona?  Please expound a bit

Carol: When we first went to Barcelona in 2009, I told the family that these were my people. We had just finished a cruise from Athens to Istanbul, spending a few days in Istanbul after the cruise.  I felt very constrained in Istanbul, but when we got to Barcelona I felt so comfortable there.  That feeling continued with our trips in 2019 and now in 2022.  

The city is very accessible, even in the old Bari Gotic with its tight winding streets.  The people are friendly, even when I use my very poor Spanish.  The food and wine are delicious (I think in a previous life I was Spanish).  The culture and architecture are amazing.  I have quasi joked with people who asked about Barcelona that if my children didn't live and work in the US, I could retire to Barcelona.

Don: Barcelona’s architecture. Especially its churches (exterior and interior). Stunning!

Jennifer: Being able to walk everywhere and watching Glen get into an argument on the train.

Second Question:

On this trip, what was your favorite house/cathedral/park/etc. that we visited, and why? 

Don: Casa Vicens. Gaudi’s attention to detail and selection of ceramic color tiles. Simply gorgeous.

Jennifer: Hospital de Sant Pau, because I said so. 

Carol: Santa Maria Del Mar - as Glen has described it as "our" church while in Barcelona.  There is something special about that place that makes me happy when we visit.

Third Question:

Second choice?

Jennifer: Torre Bellesguard

Carol: Santa Maria Del Pi - we didn't visit the church in 2019 because it has a 5 Euro entry fee and I was being cheap - don't ask me why.  I watched a very silly movie before this trip called Uncharted - an Indiana. Jones rip-off - starting Tom Holland and Mark Wahlberg.  A big hunk of the movie takes place in Barcelona and you could tell they filmed it there.  A big part of the narrative is advanced in the church of Santa Maria del Pi which looked beautiful  So we had to go this time - the 5 Euro be damned.  It is a beautiful church in the Catalan Gothic style with a beautiful rose window. You could tell they filmed some of the movie there as well.  

Don: Sant Pau Hospital. The formal richness of the facility is amazing.

Fourth Question:

If you had a friend going to Barcelona, what you tell them they had to do (other than Sagrada Familia)?

Carol: Hospital de Sant Pau - another example of Catalan Modernismo - designed by Domenech, a contemporary of Gaudi.  An amazing example of something utilitarian being beautiful as well. Modern architects could learn something.

Don: Montjuic for its view. The beach for its beauty. Churches for architecture and their beauty. All of Gaudi’s buildings to marvel at his ingenious works. Definitely plan to spend a minimum of one week and that’s not long enough.

Jennifer: Not to get on a train with Glen when someone’s playing a loud video.

Fifth Question:

List, in order, your favorite three restaurants. What made each of them special?

Don: 

A. Cal Pep for its delicious food and organized chaos. 

B. Lunch at El Xalet du Montjuic for its view. 

C. Dinner at Cocina Hermanos Torres for its ambience and superior service.

Jennifer :

A. Cal Pep (atmosphere)

B. El Xalet (food and view)

C. El Xampanyet(I dunno)

Carol: 

A. Hermanos Torres - incredible food - everything was choreographed like a theatrical production

B. Cal Pep - great tapas, great atmosphere

C. Tie - El Xalet (food and view) and El Xampanet (first restaurant we went to in 2019 - love the cava and the crazy atmosphere)

(Blogger gets the last, last word: Don’s description of Cal Pep’s “organized chaos” is a great way to describe the entertainment dinner at the counter provides.)

No comments: