Sunday, November 27, 2022

No Sharks, But The Museum Does Have Laser Beams

Friday, I didn’t have much of a plan except to get lunch at La Boqueria, go to the bunkers that overlook the city to watch the sunset, and go to our favorite of the five Michelin star restaurants we went to in 2019.

Editor’s Note: Five?  

Blogger: In my defense, I didn’t realize one of them was a Michelin star restaurant until we went.  I actually went at the recommendation of a friend, not knowing it was a Michelin star when I booked it.

Beyond that, my only plans were to wander to different places in Barcelona.  First we went to Brunch & Cake for breakfast, an absolutely fantastic place.  There are three in Barcelona – one not far from the old apartment that we went to several times in 2019, one somewhere else in the city, and one not far from our current apartment.  

We showed up right at 9:00 am, when it opened, and we got there at the right time, as fifteen minutes later there was a good length line.  There also was construction and jackhammering right outside the restaurant, which took a bit away from the ambiance, but that’s just a bit unlucky.  The restaurant is definitely a trendy place, as the four of us quadrupled the average age of the customers, but the food is good, so don’t let the fact that a bunch of old people liked it deter you from going.  I would highly recommend Brunch & Cake for a late breakfast whilst you are visiting Barcelona.

After that we headed down to the Barcelona History Museum, which is primarily underground ruins from Roman times; the archeaological site of Barcino.  It’s actually said to be the largest Roman excavation outside of Rome.  I’ve added “said to be” because I’ve been to Roman ruins that I believe are larger, although maybe those were full excavations?  I don’t know.

First, we stopped and showed them the four Roman forum columns from the temple of Augustus.  Carol and I had been there on Sunday, and thought the short stop was worth doing again, especially since Don and Jennifer had not been there yet.  It’s oddly located inside a courtyard and even has a roof.  

Frieze on a building
near the cathedral.

Three of the four Roman columns from
the Temple of Augustus.  The four
one is hidden behind the column on
the left.

There’s no charge to enter, and you walk past the building of the Hiking Club of Catalonia.  It’s wild to go in there, as few people are checking it out.  I would bet that 90% of tourists walk past it and don’t even go in to check it out.

From there, we walked another block or two into the Museu d 'Història de la Ciutat, or the Barcelona History Museum.  Oh, there’s a little bit of other history, but the name is really a misnomer.  It would be like going to Gettysburg and having it called the American History Museum or the Museum of the Civil War.  My point is. . .

Editor’s Note: Is there actually a point?

Blogger: Touche.

My point is, it’s worth going to, but the name of the museum implies it covers the city’s whole history, instead of just part of it.  I’m not writing this to dissuade you from going, even if it seems that way.

We love really old stuff, and Roman ruins count.  You go underground, walking on platforms above the ruins.  It’s very cool, although I was glad we reached the end when we did, because, well, after a while, I didn’t need to see any more ruins.  

There’s a fish factory, a wine-making section, some houses, and the ruins of an early Christian church.  They’ve added lasers to show the streets.  Don’t be afraid though, I checked out the lasers for you and it doesn’t cut off your hand.  I only have one simple request, and, to paraphrase Dr. Evil, and that’s to use sharks with frickin’ laser beams attached to their heads.  Oh well, maybe next time I go to Barcelona.

This is definitely worth going to, unless you don’t like Roman ruins.  I will let the photos tell the rest of the story.

Big fan of mosaic floors.

A topper from a grave.

Part of the fish factory.

A column flipped upside
down and repurposed.

Part of the winery.


John "No Nose" DiFronzo:
There actually was a mobster
from Chicago with that name.
He only died in 2018, and
served for years as the
boss of the Chicago outfit.
His other nickname?
Yes, you guessed it --
Johnny Bananas.

No comments: