Monday, February 13, 2017

Don't Have A Cow, Man

We headed across the river to Mingun, a bigger town along the western bank of the Irrawaddy (unless it’s on the eastern bank, but I’m pretty sure I’m right).

Once ashore, we were besieged by women and kids selling various knick-knacks and crafts.  They were waiting for us like we were sitting ducks.  Carol perfected the thousand yard stare to ignore them (although she did crack later and buy something) whilst I politely, yet firmly shook my head and said “no thank you.” 

We hopped into ox carts and rode up the steep hill to see the world’s largest uncracked bell.  After hearing the story behind it, we got back on the carts and rode to an unfinished pagoda – the king back in the day had wanted it to be largest pagoda in the world, but never was finished.  It’s pretty amazing to take in – there has been significant earthquake damage.  I didn’t go up into the pagoda (a large Buddha inhabited the inside, primarily because I was too lazy to take off my socks and sneakers.  I think it might have been the last day I wore sneakers in Myanmar, having switched to Keen’s for the rest of the trip.

After a bit we walked back down the hill to the boat and headed back to a quiet day on the boat.  That afternoon (my computer hadn’t blown up yet) Carol and I spent most of the afternoon on the quiet aft deck taking in the sights, whilst I was blogging and she was reading.  We did treat ourselves to a massage in the spa, but that was the extent of our afternoon activities until dinner.


No comments: