Monday, February 13, 2017

The Village People

I’m back to blogging – finally.  My laptop died in Myanmar on the fourth day or so, and I finally got another delivered yesterday in Perth (and even that was an adventure).   Anyhow, I’m way behind on the blog, so expect shorter posts.  As soon as I have reliable wifi I will download some more pictures – we did so much on the rest of the boat trip on the Irrawaddy River, as well as at Inle Lake.

Anyhow, Day 2 on the river cruise started with us taking a boat from the Ananda Sanctuary to Sin Kyun, also known as Elephant Island (there are no elephants on it, but perhaps there once was).  We had to scramble up the steep river bank – easily 25-30 feet high.  The amazing part of the island (actually, it is all amazing) is that it floods during monsoon season –despite such high banks in the middle of winter.  The water flow to cause flooding that high up is inconceivable (and yes, that word does mean what I think it means!). 

It is such that the farmers have to move their cows off the island to even higher ground each year.  The homes are built on stilts.  It’s pretty much mind blowing to think that where we walked on Elephant Island high above the current river is under water during monsoon season!
One additional note about our arrival -- as the boat pulled up, there was a fellow in the water with a bucket, throwing water onto our path so it wouldn’t be dusty.  Very thoughtful – they pull out all the stops. 

At the top of the riverbank, we circled up for our briefing from Ye Ye.  It was interrupted by Rich noting forcefully, “look out” – turns out there was a fast moving ox cart headed our way on the dirt road we were standing on.  We walked along the main road (dirt) and watched the kids playing, the farmers farming, and various other activities that are nearly as old as dirt.

One of the group (sorry, it was more than a week ago so I don’t recall who in particular) noted to me that it is a very simple life.  I would add “and repetitive.”  Much of what they do is what their ancestors did back over hundreds of years.  Certain things are more updated – clothes, for instance, but those clothes still get washed by hand down at the river (not sure that is the cleanest wash, but so be it).

Ye Ye briefed us on country life in a village town as walked down the lane.  The people paid us little mind, but also don’t seem annoyed by our presence.  It helps that Sanctuary donates to the village – but never forces its donations, as the people with Sanctuary meet with the village people (sorry, I can’t help myself!) to discuss what the village needs.  The most attention paid to us was from young moms showing off their babies.

Rich found a cane ball, so he and I kicked it around briefly.  We were shocked that despite our mad skillz, we were not immediately signed to play professional cane ball.  It’s a shame, because it would have made for a Cinderella story.  (I can see the headlines: “Old guy Americans embarrass selves, cut after first game, run out of Myanmar.” )

Then we watched a craftswoman making the folding bamboo hats.  She uses her toes to hold the bamboo in place as she expertly stripped it into smaller pieces.

After that, we came to a woman who was straining water to take the iron out.  When she added the unfiltered water to green tea, it turns very dark.  When she then added the filtered water to a different cup of green tea, it stayed clear.   Meanwhile, a man sat on the ground, hacking up firewood with a machete-esque large knife.

Walking down another lane, I ended up kicking a soccer ball with a young boy, whilst an even younger one shot at me with his toy gun.   I shot back with my finger (yes, I used my index finger cocked as a gun, not my middle finger!  I might be a political consultant, but I don’t always go negative).

After a bit of passing the soccer ball  whilst shooting my imaginery gun, we moved on to a school, where the children greeted us with chants.  After a bit, I put one on my shoulders and paraded him around.  The others did not want to come up, so it was a short-lived diversion.

We saw some people building a home.  They are often built by villagers in two days (this was bigger, so taking longer) in return for meals.  Sort of like the American tradition of people in their 20s helping friends move in return for beer and pizza.

We spotted the pinkest of pigs, so if you see pig pictures, that’s why/where.  Eventually we made it back to the riverbank and down onboard the ship.. 


No comments: