Saturday, April 6, 2019

A Wall We Can ALL Agree Is Pretty Great!


Every so often, we get to do or see something so spectacular in our traveling life that it takes away my breath.  Swimming with 100 dolphins in the Pacific Ocean near Kaikoura, NZ, walking amongst thousands of penguins in Antarctica, seeing lions on safari in South Africa, La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, the Great Barrier Reef, the D-Day beaches, the Sistine Chapel, polar bears in the Arctic, the York Minster, Westminster Abbey, The Tower, Big Ben (Editor’s Note: I see what you did there). 

The Great Wall certainly joins the list (the list is longer than that, but I don’t want my loyal readers dozing off).  Frankly, as amazing as the Forbidden City is, the Great Wall tops it in my book (your opinion can be different).

We took the bus about two and half hours to get to a less crowded, more dramatic section of the Great Wall (the Chinese call it the Long Wall, but they are happy to humor us and call it the Great Wall for us).  There was hardly anyone at this part of the Great Wall.  We essentially had the place to ourselves – which made our day pretty special.

We went to the Jinshaling portion of the Great Wall in Luanping County, Chengde City.  It’s 130 kilometers from Beijing.   I know you are impressed that I know that, but I simply had the presence of mind to take pictures of the scene-setter sign. 

Built on a top dramatic chain of peaks, surrounded by mountains, with the flowering trees in early spring bloom, the pictures do not do it justice.  So, you’ll just have to go yourselves!

My knee did not take kindly to the many high steps we had to negotiate going up and down the Wall.  Thankfully, Carol had brought our REI hiking sticks, so I used those going up.  Going down the steps was easier for me, but harder for Carol, so then we each used one.

We were given our own local person to stay with us, take pictures of us with the Wall as backdrop, and generally make sure we don’t die.  

When we made it up to a certain level, we were directed to a watchtower. Three tables were beautifully set up – we were having lunch on the Great Wall of China.  Wow! 

When the server came around to offer wine, I turned it down.  Carol took some red.  It hit me – when will I ever get a chance to have wine whilst dining ON (not just at!) the Great Wall.  So I had some.  

And it was grand.

After lunch, we had a couple of hours to wander the wall by ourselves.  Our Sherpas (they weren’t carrying anything other than souvenirs that we felt obligated to buy) stayed with us.  It’s okay, I would have tipped them for their help, so it doesn’t matter.  In the long run, they provided a service, albeit limited, and then we bought some cheap crap from them.  Everyone is happy!

We climbed to the top of one watchtower, and it also had a side stone deck that afforded good views of the Wall. 

Oh, let’s be honest – once up on the Wall, most of the views were fantastic.  We had walked further than anyone else, and were not looking forward to doubling back and covering the same giant steps, the same grueling up and down (I will trade my left knee for one that works.  Anybody?  Anybody?)

Our Sherpas earned their sales though, as they knew of a much gentler way back.  There was a gate from one tower.  The gate led to a sloping trail with many fewer steps.  It was a nice walk down through the forest, and we beat the others down. 

I bought us two lousy snacks masquerading as ice cream on a stick.  Look, the snacks cost next to nothing (four yuan total, which is thirty cents in USD), and we may have doubled the shopkeeper’s sales for the day, so it’s not a complaint, more of a report to my faithful readers.  When in Luanping County, don’t buy the ice cream on a stick!  (Blogger: If that’s all you get from this blog, I’ve done my job! Editor: Not all heroes wear capes!  Blogger: I detect sarcasm!)

Anyhow, we had a long bus ride back to Beijing, made longer by the traffic that makes Beltway traffic seem like it is moving at Indy 500 speeds.  I called up my Apple maps, and it said we were ten miles and 55 minutes from the hotel.  It actually took 70 minutes to crawl that distance.

We had a great dinner at the Hotel – with Peking Duck being the signature course.  It wasn’t the Peking Duck we are used to at home, but it was still pretty good (before you all scathingly email me, the owner/chef of the restaurant at home is from China too).  There were multiple courses, and also a slideshow briefing about Friends of Nature (FON), a grassroots environmental group in China. 

They have 30,000 members and are up to around a two million dollar budget, which doesn’t sound impressive, but it is a start.  They are also involved in environmental lawsuits, but since it is against the government, in the words of Miracle Max, “have fun storming the castle!”

Then it was off to bed, as we had a 4:15 am wake-up call on Friday.

No comments: