Thursday, April 18, 2019

Some Thoughts On Nat Geo


We can’t say enough good things about the Nat Geo expedition.  Our fearless leaders were actually fearless, and more importantly, interesting, patient, and organized. 

When Carol and I were younger, we never wanted to be those tourists who follow a guide carrying a flag around.  And we still don’t, in Europe.  But it worked well for us in China.

As I’m writing this, we’re flying from Shanghai to Chicago, and from there to Reagan National.  This means I have time to do some reflective writing, and not just blog about what we did each day.

Nat Geo did a heckuva job, and I would highly recommend this trip for anyone who wants to go to China, but doesn’t want to do it on their own. 

We crisscrossed the country.  We went to places I’m not sure I EVER would have planned to go without Nat Geo paving the way.  There was certainly a lot of travel, including three internal flights, one day of seven hours on the bus, and a five hour plus train ride.  

Frankly, I would have not done such an aggressive schedule, simply because I would not have known what to do.  And we loved the aggressive schedule.  

Really, out of the 28 events we did through Nat Geo on this tour in China, only two were underwhelming to us.  Everything else was a hit.  Oh, the things you know about would be hits – The Forbidden City, the Temple of Heaven, and the Terracotta Warriors – of course those are mind-blowing experiences.  But how about the cliff carvings?  The Li River cruise? The Xi’an city walls?  The Temple in Guilin? The 816 Underground Nuclear Engineering? The Panda work?  All of those were magnificent.  These were not easy to get to, and if Carol and I had done a self-directed trip, I bet we would not have put together that itinerary.

Having the guides was great.  Leo and the local guides were fabulous at conveying historical, cultural, and social information about each place we went, as well as China overall.  And Andrew was able to put all of that into easily understood perspective for us to understand more about both daily life in China, as well as the big picture, both historically and currently.

Oh, I wish I could remember everything they told us, but I soaked a bunch in.  I also know that things will flash back to me as I review the blog and photos over the years.

My awareness of Chinese history and culture probably went from zero point one percent to ten percent.  I know what you are thinking, so let me say it for you.  “Glen, ten percent isn’t a lot.”  Well, look at this way – I know 100 times what I knew before this trip.  

And, Andrew doesn’t have to sweat the competition.  I’m not suddenly going to become a China hand, but I do have a far broader, more in-depth on this 1.4 billion person country than I did before. 

Is that going to help me be better at my job?  Probably not, unless something unexpected happens.  Is that going to help me sound smarter at cocktail parties?  Well, I don’t go to cocktail parties.  It does give me great memories and a better perspective on a country I really knew little about before this trip.

We stayed in nicer hotels than I expected.  Some of that is, prices are lower here.  Before we came over, Ian had checked the hotels against Booking.com, and with the exception of the Beijing and Shanghai hotels, the prices on most of them were $100-$150 per night.  Knowing that we were booking ten-eleven rooms a night AND it’s repeat business, I have to believe Nat Geo paid less than even the Booking.com rate.

Not everyone loved the food, but Carol and I did.  I may have mentioned this before, but my favorite food in the world is Spanish tapas – because there are so many flavors in one meal. Eating Chinese food banquet style opened up a whole new culinary experience for me.  And, of course there are so many different types of Chinese food.  It seemed like we tried it all.  Oh, sure, there were a couple of meals where I thought the food was just okay, but to us, the vast majority of it was great.

The trip exceeded our expectations.  And for that Carol and I are grateful to Leo, Andrew, my fellow travelers, and the Nat Geo team.  If you are thinking about doing a Nat Geo expedition to China, do not hesitate.

No comments: