Friday, February 17, 2023

There's A Lot To Petra, But The Treasury Is Still Tops

Worthy of a blog post by itself, the approach to the Treasury is dramatic, as it reveals itself a little at a time through the slot canyon.  Yes, when you go in the morning, there is a crowd, but that’s okay.  The goodly number of people make for a party atmosphere.  Petra is on nearly everyone’s bucket list, so everyone is filled with joy to finally make it to the Treasury.

Coming out of the slot canyon, the Treasury is revealed in all its glory.  People are milling about, taking photos for Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and social media you’ve never even heard of.  And don’t forget the videos for Tik Tok.  After all, how else are you going to give your entire digital footprint to the Chinese?

The carved building reaches nearly 40 feet high, with Corinthian capitals, friezes, figures, and more.  I know what readers of a certain age are wondering.  Sorry, there is no rich Corinthian leather to be found in Petra, but here's Ricardo Montalban.


The Treasury is believed to have been constructed 1st Century BC.  The scene is something.  Camel owners are cajoling you to take a ride on their camel.  There is a café and, believe it or not, nice free toilets (they aren’t nice toilets because they are clean, but because they are free).  Osama filled us in on the history of the people, and the importance of the Treasury building.  We spent sometime wandering around, posing for photos.

At one point, a young teenager tried to get to pay him $15 to guide me up to a cliff looking across at the Treasury.  I considered it, but my knee was acting wonky, and I was less than two miles into an eleven mile day, so I passed.  I know I made the right choice, because I was able to cover a lot of uphill on my own after lunch. 

Close-up selfie




Any selfie that's just me without Carol
was taken after lunch, during my
solo hiking.

Me, an ass, and the Treasury.
Don't ask me which is which.

First reveal of the Treasury 
from the Slot Canyon.

And more of a reveal.


Camels, souvenirs, and the snack
bar across from the Treasury.



Ornate Corinthian capital on a 
Corinthian column.  But still,
no rich Corinthian leather.


I must admit, watching this, I toyed
with the idea of a brief camel ride.

Ornate carving on the Treasury.

Afternoon pic, not as many
people around then. 


No comments: